Juvederm was approved in 2006 by the FDA as a safe option for softening wrinkles, plumping lips, and maintaining a youthful appearance – and since then, its popularity has skyrocketed. Especially here in New York City at our Dermatology office.
The Juvederm procedure at our office in New York City is simple, painless, and requires little to no recovery time. Juvederm uses hyaluronic acid, which is naturally found in our bodies and absorbs 1,000 times its weight in water. When this is injected into the problem areas of the face, it adds volume to the area, smoothing out wrinkles, lines and folds.
Hyaluronic acid has also been found to maintain or even accelerate the forming of new collagen. Our New York City clients have been thrilled with the results, which are immediately visible and last up to one year.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Juvederm®?
- Juvederm® is the only hyaluronic filler FDA approved to last up to one year. Juvederm® XC injectable gel is a smooth consistency gel dermal filler that helps to instantly restore your skin’s volume and smooth away facial wrinkles and folds like your “smile lines” or “parentheses” (nasolabial folds) —the creases that run from the bottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth). Juvederm® XC comes in two formulations— Juvederm® Ultra XC and Juvederm® Ultra Plus XC.
What does Juvederm® XC do?
- Juvederm® XC injectable gel temporarily adds volume to facial tissue and restores a smoother appearance to the face.
What is Juvederm® XC indicated for?
- Juvederm® Ultra XC and Juvederm® Ultra Plus XC injectable gels are indicated for injection into the mid to deep dermis (below the outer layer of skin) for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds (the creases running from the bottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth, aka smile lines or parentheses).
Why does Juvederm® XC come in two formulations?
- Juvederm® XC injectable gel is available in two formulations to allow your healthcare professional to tailor treatment to your unique needs. Juvederm® Ultra XC provides versatility in contouring and volumizing facial wrinkles and folds. Juvederm® Ultra Plus XC is a more robust formulation for volumizing and correcting deeper folds and wrinkles.
What makes Juvederm® XC different from other dermal fillers?
- Juvederm® XC is the only hyaluronic acid filler FDA approved to last up to 1 year after initial treatment. Our unique manufacturing process provides a high concentration of cross-linked hyaluronic acid for long-lasting results. It also works to create a smooth consistency gel that flows easily into the skin and provides a smooth, natural look and feel. Juvederm® is the first hyaluronic acid dermal filler that has demonstrated its safety and effectiveness in persons of color.
What is hyaluronic acid?
- Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance found in all mammals that helps to hydrate and add volume to your skin. In addition to its use as an aesthetic treatment, hyaluronic acid has also been used for more than 20 years for injection into arthritic joints to aid movement as well as for eye surgeries and wound repair.
What is cross-linked hyaluronic acid?
- “Uncross-linked” hyaluronic acid in its natural form is in a liquid state. “Cross-linking” is the process through which hyaluronic acid is made into a gel product that can be injected into the skin for long-lasting results.
How is Juvederm® XC injectable gel used in treatment?
- Dr. Quintana eases Juvederm® XC injectable gel into the skin using a fine needle to temporarily fill in and augment the treatment area and smooth moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds such as “smile lines” or “parentheses” (nasolabial folds) and “marionette lines” (oral commissures). Juvederm® XC temporarily adds volume to the skin and may give the appearance of a smoother surface.
What will treatment with Juvederm® XC injectable gel accomplish?
- Juvederm® XC injectable gel will help to smooth moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds. Most patients need one treatment to achieve optimal wrinkle smoothing. And one treatment could smooth your lines and wrinkles for up to 1 year. Ask our staff what you should expect from your initial treatment and when they would recommend scheduling another appointment.
Is treatment with Juvederm® XC injectable gel painful?
- Injections may cause some discomfort during and after the injection. The smooth consistency gel of Juvederm® XC allows your doctor to administer it easily and smoothly. And, Juvederm® XC is injected directly into the skin using a fine needle to reduce injection discomfort. Additionally, Juvederm® XC is formulated with lidocaine for a more comfortable treatment experience. Our staff may choose to numb (anesthetize) the treatment area to further minimize discomfort.
Does the correction last forever?
- No. Correction is temporary, therefore, touch-up injections as well as repeat injections are usually needed to maintain optimal corrections.
Can people with different skin tones/colors be treated with Juvederm®?
- Yes. In fact, Juvederm® injectable gel is the first FDA-approved hyaluronic acid dermal filler that has proven its safety and effectiveness in persons of color. Studies with Juvederm® showed no increased risk of hyperpigmentation or hypertrophic scarring in patients of color.
What are the possible side effects of Juvederm® XC injectable gel?
- Most side effects are mild or moderate in nature, and their duration is short lasting (7 days or less). The most common side effects include temporary redness, tenderness and bruising at the injection sites. All risks and benefits arediscussed during consultation.
Dr. Quintana can help you decide if Juvederm or any of the following anti wrinkle procedures are right for you. Just simply setup a consultation with her at her New York City clinic.