These website pages and all material information contained herein or transmitted to or from same, are provided as a courtesy to user(s) of this website, including the licensee. Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York, the owner and licensor of this website shall not be liable to any other person or entity for any damages of any kind for any reason pursuant to any legal theory, incurred by the user as a result of its/her/his use or reliance on the information contained herein. Every effort has been made by Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York to ensure the privacy of personal information transmitted to or from this website, between licensee (Adelle T. Quintana, M.D. dba Laser and Mohs Surgery of New York), pursuant to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”). Reasonable precautions and safeguards are taken to protect the privacy of this information during transmission. However, Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York is not responsible for the privacy of this information during transmission. The recommendations and analyses on this website are intended simply to provide assistance and guidance. They may not be relied upon as authority for compliance with legal requirements, nor as a source of legal advice.
We understand that most of our U.S. customers such as medical practices and their physicians are “Covered Entities” under HIPAA privacy regulations. As HIPAA Covered Entities, our customers are legally obligated to maintain the privacy of all individually identifiable patient information that they create or receive. While Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York is not a HIPAA Covered Entity, we recognize the impact that the HIPAA privacy regulations have on our customers. We therefore remain committed to interacting with users and customers in a responsible manner, and to maintaining the privacy of individually identifiable patient information that we assist in transmitting as part of offering website materials, consistent with applicable law and regulations in the protection and privacy of individually identifiable patient information.
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 10, 2010
This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York and its licensees understand that your medical and health information is personal. Protecting your health information is important. Our licensee(s) follow strict federal and state laws that require them to maintain the confidentiality of your health information.
OUR PRIVACY RESPONSIBILITIES
Whether or not required by applicable law, Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York and its licensees are dedicated to:
- Maintain the privacy of your health information;
- Provide this notice that describes the ways our licensee(s) may use and share your health information; and
- Follow the terms of the notice currently in effect.
We reserve the right to make changes to this notice at any time and make the new privacy practices effective for all information we maintain. Current notices will be posted on this website.
HOW OUR LICENSEE(S) USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In order to receive care from a licensee or designated healthcare provider with whom you may desire a consultation or to whom you may have been referred by our licensee, your personal information captured herein may be used to for scheduling an appointment, gathering information on your medical history, billing for services, and conducting their normal business known as healthcare operations. Examples of how licensee(s) may use your information include:
- Scheduling – Your healthcare provider, who may or may not be the licensee of this website, may keep records for scheduling that may include contact information such as your address, phone number(s), email address, etc. This information is used solely for the purpose of staying in communication with you regarding your appointments, your treatment, and any follow-up treatment you may receive.
- Treatment – Your healthcare provider, who may or may not be the licensee of this website, may keep records of the care and services provided to you. Healthcare providers use these records to deliver quality care to meet your needs. For example, your doctor may share your health information with a specialist who will assist in your treatment. Some health records, including some confidential communications with a mental health professional, some substance abuse treatment records, some genetic test results, and some health information of minors may have additional restrictions on the use and disclosure under state and federal laws.
- Payment – Your healthcare provider, who may or may not be the licensee of this website, may keep billing records that include payment information and documentation of the services provided to you. Your information may be used to obtain payment from you, your insurance company, or other third party. Licensee(s) may also contact your insurance company to verify coverage for your care or to notify them of upcoming services that may need prior notice or approval. For example, they may disclose information about the services provided to you to claim and obtain payment from your insurance company or Medicare.
- Healthcare Operations – Your healthcare provider, who may or may not be the licensee of this website, may use health information to improve the quality of care, train staff and students, provide customer service, manage costs, conduct required business duties, and make plans to better serve our communities. For example, your health information may be used to evaluate the quality of treatment and services provided by certain physicians, nurses, and other healthcare workers.
OUR PRIVACY RESPONSIBILITIES
There are limited situations when licensee(s) are permitted or required to disclose health information without your signed authorization.
These situations are:
- For public health purposes such as reporting communicable diseases, work-related illnesses, or other diseases and injuries permitted by law; reporting births and deaths; and reporting reactions to drugs and problems with medical devices;
- To protect victims of abuse, neglect, or domestic violence;
- For health oversight activities such as investigations, audits, and inspections;
- For lawsuits and similar proceedings;
- When otherwise required by law;
- When requested by law enforcement as required by law or court order;
- To coroners, medical examiners, and funeral directors;
- For organ and tissue donation;
- For research approved by our review process under strict federal guidelines;
- To reduce or prevent a serious threat to public health and safety;
- For workers’ compensation or other similar programs if you are injured at work; and
- For specialized government functions such as intelligence and national security.
All other uses and disclosures, not described in this notice, require your signed authorization. You may revoke your authorization at any time with a written statement. However, Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York and its licensees or any provider of care may not be able to reverse the use or disclosure of your health information while your authorization was in effect.
YOUR INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS
You have the right to:
- Request restrictions on how we use and share your health information. We will consider all requests for restrictions carefully but are not required to agree to any restriction;
- Request that we use a specific telephone number or address to communicate with you;
- Request to inspect and copy your health information, including medical and billing records from licensee(s) and other providers. Fees may apply. Under limited circumstances, we may deny you access to a portion of your health information and you may request a review of the denial;
- Request corrections or additions to your health information.; and
- Request a paper copy of this notice even if you agree to receive it electronically.
- Requests marked with a star (*) must be made in writing. Contact your healthcare provider or this licensee for the appropriate form for your request.
If you would like further information about your privacy rights, are concerned that your privacy rights have been violated, or disagree with a decision that we made about access to your health information, contact:
Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York
130 W. 42nd Street. #1805
New York, NY 10036
Email: [email protected]
We will investigate all complaints and will not penalize or treat you any differently for filing a complaint. You may also file a written complaint with the Office of Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
PRIVACY PRACTICES ON THIS WEBSITE
System Security – Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York has taken reasonable steps and has employed industry-standard practices and technology to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of personally identifiable information; but because even the most secure computer system can be violated, Laser & Mohs Dermatology of New York cannot guarantee security.
HIPAA Requirements – Protected health information associated with this website and its licensee(s) is managed in accordance with HIPAA regulations. Accordingly, protected health information is not shared except as explained in the Notice of Privacy Practices above.