Your Adult Acne, Explained
- Posted on: Jan 30 2016
The anguish of teenage pimples may be but a memory for some women, but unfortunately, the face of acne is changing and it may look more like the adult you. Many women in their thirties, forties and fifties regularly battle mild to severe pimple and acne breakouts. This can be so stressful and annoying and is just one additional thing to deal with as you face the aging process. The causes of adult acne can and do differ with each sufferer, but there are a few common adult acne triggers:
- Your Hormones – When your body experiences a spike in “male” hormones such as testosterone, oil production increases, and that can cause clogged pores where acne bacteria grows. This leads to inflammation and pimples. This male hormone spike may occur more frequently during peri-menopause, but it also happens just before your period.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) – Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is an often-overlooked cause of acne. PCOS affects 5% to 10% of women – many suffer for years without realizing they have it. If your acne is accompanied by excessive hair growth or irregular periods, let us know. PCOS and other types of hormone imbalances can often be treated with medications such as an oral contraceptive or anti-androgen.
- Your Stress Levels – It’s difficult not to be stressed these days, but some experts say stress can lead to acne by signaling the release of cortisol, a hormone that tells your body to produce more pore-clogging oil.
- Your Diet – Oily foods don’t cause oily skin, but other foods can contribute to acne:
- Dairy – Studies have shown a link between dairy and acne, perhaps because of the hormones that are present in these products. If you can’t live without dairy, try buying organic.
- Sugars and Carbs – Any food that spikes your blood sugar, such as pasta, bread, and sweets, can trigger your skin’s inflammatory response and provoke a breakout.
Schedule a Consultation
Dr. Quintana would be happy to talk with you about acne or other aesthetic concerns you may have. She also offers several treatments for acne scars, such as peels and photo-rejuvenation. Call to book a consultation and let us help you have the lovely skin you deserve for 2016: (212) 391-8600.
Posted in: Aesthetic Procedures