Can These Strategies Help Botox and Fillers Last Longer?
- Posted on: Jul 15 2021
Injectables are often the first line of defense for adults interested in prolonging the appearance of youthfulness. In some cases, products like Botox and dermal fillers can enhance areas of the face that are naturally flatter and less contoured. Depending on the product used, the benefits of injectable treatment can last from a few months to 2 years. There is no way to make the effects of Botox and dermal fillers last indefinitely. Still, we’d like to enjoy them for as long as possible.
Here, we discuss a few things that may help prolong the body’s process of breaking down these anti-agers.
- Avoid massage and pressure on the treatment area for 24 to 48 hours. This includes when washing and applying moisturizer, as well as when sleeping.
- After Botox, patients may be advised to do gentle facial exercises to help the product distribute optimally. This simple step could also help results take effect more quickly and last a bit longer.
- Stay hydrated. The skin relies heavily on water to maintain moisture. People who get dermal fillers learn that the way their injections work is by binding to water molecules in the deeper layers of the skin. Staying hydrated can reduce the speed at which water is released by particles of hyaluronic acid.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure. The ultraviolet light in sunshine breaks down our healthy collagen and elastin more quickly and causes damage to the matrix that supports firm, smooth skin. In addition to wearing a moisturizer with SPF and a broad-spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen when outdoors, we encourage patients to also wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses to better protect their delicate facial skin.
- Take a Zinc supplement. Some studies have shown that higher (within range) levels of Zinc are associated with prolonged Botox results. Taking a daily supplement as recommended may provide this benefit.
- Practice good skin care. In addition to cleansing the skin, it is imperative that tissues are properly hydrated. To achieve this, drink plenty of water, avoid excess heat and sun exposure, and apply a powerful moisturizer and serums daily.
We care about the results we help our patients achieve. To schedule your cosmetic treatment like Botox or dermal fillers, call our midtown Manhattan office at 212.391.8600.
Posted in: Botox, Dermal Fillers