Want a Tan Even with Limited Time Outdoors? Here are Some Self-Tanning Tips!
- Posted on: Jul 15 2020
Often, by this time of year, we’ve spent a fair amount of time outdoors in the sunshine. This gives the skin a radiant glow, albeit with minor risks of photodamage and skin cancer. Seeing that most of us have spent the last few months indoors, it’s understandable that there may be a strong desire to give ourselves a little summertime pick-me-up. If you’re missing your sun-kissed look, we’ve got some tips for you on how to maximize the results you can get using a quality self-tanner.
- Make exfoliation part of your routine. For your self-tanner to achieve a uniform color, it must be applied to smooth skin. Dry patches and dead skin cells will make the pigment look unnatural. Exfoliation can be done with a mildly abrasive cloth or body wash containing tiny particles to scrape old, dead cells from the epidermis.
- Make sure your skin is clean before applying self-tanner. Where there is debris, dirt, particles, or oil, there will be unevenness in pigment.
- Remember to moisturize. It may seem counterintuitive to apply a moisturizer before a self-tanner, but experts agree that doing so adds value to the end-result of tanning. It is important to use an oil-free moisturizer that is lightweight and will not leave a residue on the skin.
- When applying self-tanner, start at your feet or ankles and work your way up from there. Take your time and apply the product in a circular motion to spread evenly on the entire surface of the skin. The arms should be the last body part to be treated.
- Save your face for last. Self-tanner can be applied to the face but should be done so conservatively. Here, the product should be applied lightly around the nose and lips because this area pics up more color. The tanner should be blended well along the hairline and past the jaw bone.
- Most tanner labels instruct to avoid showering or sweating for 6 to 8 hours after application. This can be a challenge during the hot summer months so it may take some planning.
You don’t have to forego a golden glow this summer. With a little strategizing and a quality self-tanner, your skin can be radiant and healthy. We are happy to provide medical and cosmetic dermatology services in our Manhattan office. If you wish to schedule an appointment with us, call 212.391.8600.